It is such a sense of accomplishment to end our first trimester of kindergarten and I cannot thank you enough for all you do to support learning at home. Report cards will be sent home on Friday. Although a report card can only capture a small portion of what children learn in school I am sure you will be able to celebrate growth in many academic areas with your child. Please let me know if you have any questions regarding report cards.
· Read emergent level texts - the goal is to independently read a level C by the end of the trimester
· Compare and contrast characters in stories
· Apply phonics skills - segment sounds in words and also blend sounds. We learn that words are like puzzles. Words can be taken apart and put back together. Segmenting and blending helps us to read and write.
· Count to 100
· Count 20 Object
· Recognize a set of 10 and count on
· Compare numbers using more and less
· Draw and write to compose informational stories. We will begin by writing a book about an animal.
· Write stories to tell about events in order. Write stories about things you have done and sequence events.
· We will study the human body. We will read and write about body parts and functions.
· We will apply learning of past, present and future in our daily routine and also recognize that all people have individual traits.